Thursday, October 15, 2009

Pinetta's European Restaurant

3056 Perkins Rd.
225.387.9174
no website


Cuisine Rouge Rating:
4 plates





by: Chad

As exciting and impressive as some new BR restaurants are, sometimes you just want to find a nice, quiet, cozy place where you can enjoy a simple meal. That’s what Pinetta’s is all about. Opened in 1962 by the Bubola family from Eastern Europe, this tiny inconspicuous bistro has been a favorite of many locals for many years.

From the moment you walk through the door, you get the impression that nothing has been touched since that opening day some 47 years ago. The atmosphere creates the feeling of another time and place, with old artwork adorning the walls, and a variety of beer steins and empty Chianti bottles hanging from the ceilings. To say this place is romantic would be an understatement. It has the classic “romantic Italian restaurant” theme down pat, complete with red checked tablecloths and candles on every table. It’s definitely has the appeal of a date night spot but is also suitable for families and groups of friends.

The menu is an interesting one, featuring a mixture of dishes from Italy, Turkey, and Germany. The majority of the items are Italian, and all the dishes are very simple and rustic. The menu features two Turkish dishes which we did not sample, Musaca potatoes and the Shish-Ka-Bob. The German selections are four; Sauerbraten, Thuringen Bratwurst, Schnitzel Holstein, and Weiner Schnitzel. Despite this being a very small selection, it’s the only German food you’ll find anywhere in this area.

We did order the Weiner Schnitzel, and it was okay. The breaded veal was tender but dry, and not very flavorful. The riced potatoes served as a side were over-seasoned and could not be finished. However, on a positive note, the apples in the sauerkraut were an interesting touch, and added a good flavor and texture. We tasted several of the Italian dishes, starting with the polenta appetizer. This was a bit different than polenta I have had before, it being in a more solid form, cut into slices and served with their signature red sauce. The entrée I sampled was the lasagna, also served with the same red sauce. The sauce shares the same old world, rustic quality that the whole restaurant showcases. It tastes like something your grandmother would make, very rich and hearty, with chunks of vegetables and a great flavor.

Undoubtedly the highlight of the meal was the dessert. The chocolate tiramisu was not only the best tiramisu dish that I have had, but overall one of the best desserts period. The portion was large, easily enough to share with at least two people, and the flavor and texture of it was just perfect. Not overly sweet, and with a great chocolate taste that wasn’t overly bitter or chalky.

I would highly recommend Pinetta’s to someone looking for a romantic, quiet, intimate setting for a meal. You won’t have the vast menu options of a larger restaurant, but you also won’t have the noise and chaos that often goes with it. In fact, I’ll go a step further and say that unless you are looking for a nice, relaxed meal, you shouldn’t go there. The service isn’t the fastest, and some would even say it borders on bad, but it’s part of the experience. The idea here is that you are taking your time, and I think a waiter that is running back and forth from the kitchen would take away from the atmosphere and the experience.

Pinetta's Polenta appetizer
Polenta


Pinetta's Chocolate Tiramisu
Chocolate Tiramisu

Pinetta's European on Urbanspoon



3 comments:

  1. check out Pimanyoli's next to Kleinpeter Substation and next door to Little Village.

    try the blackberry cobbler with ice cream AND bread pudding. AWESOME!

    Their brisket is really good.

    Also their hot tamales are outstanding! best I've ever eaten!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Went to Pinetta's and the food is horribly oversalted and inedible. They refused to substitute for another dish and then I was insulted by the waiter for my lack of culinary appreciation. Sorry for my blood pressure I appreciate low salt culinary dishes. Inedible food and rude staff and manager.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This restaurant used to be our favorite restaurant for 9 years. We have always told our friends and family to go eat there and have even given gift certificates to friends and family to Pinetta's just because we loved it so much. The food usually is good and the atmosphere is quaint and very unique with italian music playing in the background (except this last time, jukebox oldies music was playing which completely took away from the unique atmostphere of the restaurant).

    But this last time we went, the same dish I had been ordering for years, was way too spicy for me too eat and enjoy. When I told the waitress this, she told me it would "spice up my life". She then asked me if I wanted to box it up and take it home for someone else that may be able to eat it!! I asked for the owner to come to the table. When I explained to the owner that I had been eating this same dish for years but it was too spicy for me to eat this time, she got very defensive to the point where my husband had to jump in and tell her he didnt appreciate the condescending way she was speaking to me. She told me this wasnt Applebees, and we dont comp you for dishes just because you dont like them. I then explained to her that this had nothing to do with wanting the food comped, that I would pay in full for a dish, but for a dish I can actually eat. She finally calmed down and asked what else on the menu would I like to try. I put in another order, which she told me would go behind the rest of the other patrons orders!! But come to find out, she was not only going to make me pay for the original dish, but she was also going to make me pay for this dish as well. I finally told her I was done with this experience and to please just let us pay for our meal so we can leave. I told her I was trained in customer problem resolution and managed a business, and that this was the absolute worst customer experience I have ever had. She walked away stating she had tried!!!! (this is the "short" story, I have left a lot of other jaw dropping details out)

    Food is generally good, but if you have a problem with it, dont expect for the owners to care you were unsatisfied. It seems they care more about their short term profit then their long term customer retention profits.

    ReplyDelete