Tuesday, October 20, 2009

Mmmemories - Roma Deli

In the spot that currently houses Taste of Asia, there was once a great little Italian deli/restaurant called Roma Deli. One might say that it would be easy to forget given the quantity of Italian restaurants in this city, but this place was special. From the cozy atmosphere to the great food, it was a favorite spot for many, especially at lunch time. I'm sure most of the food there was good, but I was never able to get past the calzone. I just couldn't seem to bring myself to order anything but that. Made to order, you could count on a bit of wait if you ordered one, but it was well worth it. You can get a tasty calzone at many spots in town, but this one still stands out to me as the best I've had.

Sadly it didn't make it, and for whatever reason closed its doors for good. If you're craving the calzone, check out DeAngelos, Johnny D's, Mellow Mushroom, or the newest addition to the restaurant scene in Prairieville, Rotollos. All offer a good experience, and for me it brings back the memories of those times at Roma waiting patiently for the kitchen to turn out my delicious homemade lunch selection.

What places do you miss? Send in your restaurant memories and you could be featured on the website, and win a cool Cuisine Rouge t-shirt! Email them to - cuisinerouge225@gmail.com

5 comments:

  1. Still dreaming about the # 3 poboy. To die for!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I want to find the owner and reopen Roma Deli and/or purchase his menus. I have no idea what the owner's name is, but I want to open it back up in South Baton rouge near LSU. Any information please let me know.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Roma Deli was amazing. The italian po-boys were the best. Used to drive out there most weekends from campus area.

    ReplyDelete
  4. THe name was the Gaines Family. Jon and Jill gaines. I think Jon has passed away. I worked for them at roma. They were great and inspired me. Today i am a chef and have my own cajun restaurant in Cali.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hey Brandon,

    Thanks for the info! I just moved from Hollywood back to Baton Rouge after 8 years where is your restaurant? I miss the John Folse Full House Roma Style! I would love to know more information on Roma deli if at all possible and would appreciate any help. I think they had a Lincoln Oven that they passed the sandwiches through, but I am not certain. I would love to get the old recipes and suppliers if the family still has that information. It would be great to open up something similar in South Baton Rouge!!!

    ReplyDelete