Thursday, October 8, 2009

Coyote Blues - Fresh Mexican Grill

By: Chad

3014 S. Acadian Thruway
225-329-2055
http://www.coyotebluesrest.com


Cuisine Rouge Rating:




Lafayette based Coyote Blues has taken over the former spot occupied by Lone Star steakhouse off Acadian Thruway near I-10, and has done so in a huge way. The new building is quite spacious, brightly decorated and features an interesting array of menu options, starting with their selection of 300 tequilas. Everything from your typical brands you can find at any bar up to the $40 per shot varieties like Herradura Suprema and Gran Patron Platinum.

We started out with drinks, sampling the house margarita and the Cosmopolitan, both of which were on a happy hour (4-7 daily) type special, priced at only $4. One nice touch I liked about the drink selection was the addition of mocktails to the menu. This offers those who don’t partake of alcohol the opportunity to join the party with some tasty drinks. Of course we were also presented with the standard Mexican restaurant greeting of chips and salsa, with the addition of another dip, an interesting combination of creamy avocado and cilantro that was quite tasty - almost like a guacamole blended with sour cream.

The food offerings are quite interesting with the menu showing a Cajun flair applied to many dishes. One that stands out is the appetizer, Fried Oysters on the Half Chip. Oysters crusted with ground corn, served atop nacho chips with a chipotle aioli. For our visit, we opted for the exotic sounding Mayan Pyramid, a pork tamale shaped like a pyramid, sitting on a bed of two sauces, black bean puree and roasted corn sauce. It was quite tasty, but also quite rich (a little too much for an app), and quite expensive for what was a relatively small portion ($7.29).

For entrees, we tried the Chicken Chimichanga and the Nuevo Crab Enchiladas. The chimichanga was straightforward and nothing outside of what you would expect out of the dish. It was well prepared, not overly greasy, and with good flavor. The enchiladas were very good, a nice twist on the traditional enchilada, featuring roasted corn crepes in place of the typical tortilla. They were filled with a flavorful crab stuffing and topped with a mango and red pepper salsa. They were placed atop two cream sauces, a roasted Poblano, and a red pepper Ancho. This was served with the sides of Poblano rice and cheese corn grits. While this is a very good dish, to call it rich is an understatement. The cream sauces provide a nice flavor and add to the quality of the dish, but be prepared to feel stuffed.

While we were not physically able to really enjoy dessert, we ordered one for the sake of our review, and tried the Tres Leches cake. It was served in an interesting presentation, cubes of the milk-soaked cake served in a margarita glass with the milk sauce and topped with whipped cream, toasted coconut and fresh fruit. It fell in line with our other items, tasty, but over the top with creamy richness.

Coyote Blues is a fun, indulgent restaurant. On the plus side, there’s great food, good service, and a fun environment. On the down side, it is quite loud, rather expensive for Mexican fare, and the food will leave you feeling like you’ve consumed a million calories. Overall, it’s a good restaurant worth giving a shot.

Mayan Pyramid
Mayan Pyramid

Tres Leches
Tres Leches



Nuevo Crab Enchiladas
Nuevo Crab Enchiladas

Coyote Blues on Urbanspoon


3 comments:

  1. Awesome. Did a google search for Coyote Blues and cuisinerouge review popped up.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The wife and I decided to finally try Coyote Blues tonight. We hadn't been "on a date" in some time and were looking forward to the experience. I have somewhat of a distant business connection with one of the owners, so I felt confident that we were going to have a good time. Well, I couldn't have been more wrong!

    Our waiter, "Cody", was lethargic and inattentive at best, not bringing my wife or me a glass of water until after we'd asked THREE times; the first request was nearly TEN minutes after we'd been seated, which was the first time he shuffled by our table. The second request was nearly FIFTEEN minutes after the first request, which was when our appetizer was mostly consumed. The third request was when our entrees were being placed on the table and, by this time, I was furious. I noticed "Cody" hadn't bothered to provide either of us a plate for our fajitas, so we asked him for one. As we expected, it took him nearly FIVE minutes to finally make it back to our table with a plate. Not two plates. One plate. So we asked him for another plate, to which he replied, rather abruptly, "You've got another one, right there", pointing to the plate holding the tortilla shells. "Cody" followed that nugget up with, "I mean, do you want another one?" I was too angry at this point to even form a coherent statement, so my wife, eyes wide with disbelieve, replied, "Uh, no, that's okay. We clearly missed the other plate buried under the tortilla shells."

    A short time later, we began to notice that "Cody" was not only ignoring my wife and I. You see, he couldn't seem to stay away from the table behind us. My wife pointed out that several other waiters and managers frequently approached that table, bowing and repeatedly asking, "How was it?"; "Can I get you anything?" Finally my curiosity got the best of me and I turned around to see an obese older man whose face I've seen on the sidelines during LSU football games the past few seasons. I don't know his name, and I don't care who he is. But the sudden knowledge that we were being ignored so that fat slob could be worshiped by the entire staff of the restaurant just made me more angry.

    Look, I understand that "celebrities" can be a valuable asset to any establishment, but give me a break. I can't believe I actually paid for that experience; my only solace is knowing I tipped "Cody" a big fat goose egg.

    Suck it, Coyote Ugly- er, I mean Coyote Blows...

    ReplyDelete
  3. My mom and I went last night, 1/18/2010. Our server was good, I didn't notice her name. She was knowledable about the menu and applauded our final choices, always a good sign when the waitstaff appears happy with your choices, LOL. Once they arrived I saw why she was so happy.

    The beef in the chimichanga was the most flavorful i have ever had in any Chimi and I have tried them in many Tex Mex places as I lived in TX for 12 years. The pork babyback ribs are smoke flavored and tasty and the crab cake appetizer (though more a crab croquette than a crab cake) was just the right size to take the hunger off without cuttng appetite for dinner and also flavorful.

    I guess that is the theme for this restaurant.. nothing was ho hum bland, everything was bursting with flavor in your mouth. This presentation of the Tres Leches cake was the first time I ever had it presented this way. At first taste I thought I would be disappointed, no caramel or heavy taste of condensed milk, but after the second bite I was in love. The fruits was so fresh and complimented the whipped cream, coconut and milk just right! Put the others you have had in the past out of your mind as see this as a new item and you will be pleasantly surprised. I plan to go back soon just so I can have this dessert again.

    My brother tried to join us but could not get a parking space... he ended up driving off instead. That would be my only complaint, the need for more parking and perhaps valet parking on the busier night... but who expects a Monday night to be that packed?!

    Finally we listened to the guiitar player in the bar a bit before leaving he was quite good. Which reminds me, they happy hour strawberry margarita is yummy too.

    Overall I can't see how anyone could be unhappy with Coyote Blues. I hope they maintain the level of quality to their food that they currently have. I know sometimes food quality goes down with the age of some places, I hope this wont be the case with CBs! I wish I would have had the forsight to call ahead and ask if they could prepare a tasting menu for us. There were so many items I just wanted to taste, like the osso bucco as dish I love but dont' have the patience to make for myself, LOL. Oh well I guess this means many future trips back! :>)

    ReplyDelete