Monday, August 17, 2009

Freaky Foods of Baton Rouge – Vegemite and Kangaroo Jerky

By: Mark

G’day mates! This edition of Freaky Foods showcases two staples of Australian cuisine. Going to Dingo’s for lunch with Wesley, I was intrigued by a sign that said: “Vegemite and Kangaroo Jerky to Sample!” Being adventurous eaters, we had to try it. The Kangaroo jerky was the first to be brought out. It had a strong aroma, almost musty, but had a sweet flavor. It was very good. Then we were brought a jar of vegemite by the owner, Patrick Muller. He was beaming at the thought of people trying a food he grew up on. Vegemite is made from leftover brewers' yeast extract, a by-product of beer manufacturing, and various vegetable and spices. It almost resembles nutella in its color and texture. After smelling it, I forgot all about nutella. A bitter, salty smell entered my nostrils; making me have second thoughts about wanting to try it. I spread it thinly on a cracker and placed it in my mouth. A salty, slightly bitter, and malty flavor followed. If I had to compare it to something, it would be like sucking on a beef bouillon cube. Patrick then prepared it for us the way he ate it in Australia; spreading it on hot bread with loads of butter. This was a better way to eat it, as the butter definitely mellowed it out, but the vegemite was still so strong I couldn’t finish it. Though it’s not my favorite, I am glad I had a chance to try another country’s food. If you are curious, head to Dingo’s and ask for it; I’m sure Patrick will be happy to oblige.

“Buying bread from a man in Brussels
He was six foot four and full of muscles
I said, do you speak-a my language?
He just smiled and gave me a vegemite sandwich”


At which point I would have politely declined!

Vegemite
Vegemite


Kangaroo Jerky
Kangaroo Jerky

Dingo's on Urbanspoon

No comments:

Post a Comment