Sunday, July 19, 2009

Mason’s Grill – A Solid Sunday Brunch

By: Mark

http://www.masonsgrill.com
http://www.masonsgrill.com/menu_jefferson/breakfast_weekend.html

Mason’s Grill on Jefferson Highway has always been known as the place to grab a burger, but it may soon be known as the place to grab a good brunch. Two diners and I ventured over to Mason’s to grab a bite to eat. We made sure to get there early to beat the church crowd. We arrived at approximately 10:45 AM and were seated promptly, even though the restaurant was nearly full.

We started our meals with River Road brand coffee, which was some of the best tasting coffee I have had. It was smooth and bold with a little bite. My two companions also ordered champagne ($3.95 for all you can drink). Our waitress was attentive and very friendly. Our coffee and champagne glasses rarely went half empty.

For my meal, I ordered the special, the alligator sauce piquante benedict. Two biscuit halves were topped with Canadian bacon, a poached egg, and smothered in a spicy alligator piquante sauce. Flavor wise, the meal was very good. The sauce was rich and had a nice level of heat. My only problem was the small portion of alligator meat. I think I might have received a slight sliver, but I felt if I was paying extra for alligator, I should see a decently sized piece of it. I also ordered a sweet potato pancake. The pancake was almost the size of the dinner plate. The pancake was fluffy and had a wonderful nutmeg and cinnamon flavor. These are a must when dining at Mason’s. The meal also came with hash browns, that were fried crispy and speckled with sautéed onions and peppers. They are a delicious side to any breakfast choice.

The other two guests both ordered the crab cake and eggs. The crab cakes were large, but thin. They were decent in taste, but had a slightly fishy flavor (a possible by product of cheap crab meat). They were topped with a poached egg and had a creamy hollandaise sauce drizzled on top. My companions enjoyed them immensely.

Mason’s offers a full breakfast menu with traditional and Cajun influenced dishes. They also serve their full menu for those looking to start their day with a famous burger. The meal wasn’t cheap ($70 for three diners), but Mason’s offers a wide variety of great food. This may become a Sunday tradition for me.

Mason's Grill on Urbanspoon</as

No comments:

Post a Comment