Friday, July 24, 2009

Local Owner Interview: Patrick Muller – Dingo’s

By: Mark

Patrick Muller is the owner of Dingo’s, an Australian themed restaurant and bar located at 11580 Coursey Blvd in Baton Rouge, near the intersection of Sherwood Forest Blvd and Coursey Blvd. Patrick is a native of Perth, Australia, where he also ran a restaurant and was an avid Australian rules footballer. He has been kind enough to sit down and answer a few questions for Cuisine Rouge:

1. How did you get started in the restaurant business?

"I was born and raised in Perth, Australia. My wife is from Louisiana and she introduced me to Louisianan cuisine, which I fell in love with. My restaurant in Australia was called the House of Blues Café. It was located in a blue house and we featured live music and Louisiana food. I owned it for two years and then we decided to move to Louisiana to be closer to family.”

2. What or who were your influences?

"My personal influence was my desire to entertain and to provide the best dining experience for anyone who walks into my doors. I do this by trying to provide simple, good food.”

3. When did you know you could make it in this business?

“I try to take it one day at a time. The key is to always keep learning. To me success is when I walk across the street and look at my restaurant. Nothing makes me happier than seeing a parking lot full of cars and people leaving the restaurant satisfied and happy.”

4. How did you decide on this location?

“It was all about perfect timing. Initially I had a place picked out in the Lake Sherwood Mall. However, the deal fell through. I then came across this location and made a call to the owner. From the outside it looked like it would be a quick fix, but there was a lot of work that needed to be done.”

5. What do you love about your job?

“Making people happy and providing a place to work for my employees.”

6. What do you hate about your job?

“The never ending bills.”

7. When you aren’t cooking, what do you like to do?

“Lay in bed with my wife and three daughters and watch Sponge Bob Square Pants.”

8. What would you be doing if you weren’t the owner of Dingo’s?

“I would be a real estate investor. It’s actually what I was in Australia and it gave me the financial ability to open my first restaurant.”

9. What is your favorite dish on the menu?

“The chipotle chicken curry.”

10. What would your last meal be?

“A stick of salty butter with a crusty, hot baguette. I like to keep it simple.”

11. What is your best moment as a restaurant owner?

“I love to be able to present the guest with the unexpected and watch them enjoy it. Recently a bride-to-be and a few friends were looking for a place to eat late. They called ahead and came in and when they arrived there was a bottle of complimentary champagne on ice waiting for them. It’s the look of surprise and happiness on the customers faces that makes me love what I do.”

12. What is your worst moment as a restaurant owner?

“Once again, the never ending stream of bills.”

13. Anything new for the future?

“We just got a frozen drink machine so we hope to create some new frozen beverages to go along with old favorites. I also hope to keep our success going and become the best new restaurant in Baton Rouge.”

14. Other than what you make, what other foods do you enjoy?

“I love boiled shrimp and ice cream. I am a big fan of simple, comfort foods.”

15. If a person is only visiting your place once, what dish should they get?

“The fish tacos. The love affair between the grilled mahi-mahi and the mango salsa should please anybody’s palate.”

Cuisine Rouge would like to thank you Patrick Muller for taking the time to answer our questions. Good luck to you and Dingo’s in the future!



Dingo's on Urbanspoon

1 comment:

  1. I've been to Dingo's only once and the fish tacos are truly INCREDIBLE!

    ReplyDelete