Saturday, April 4, 2009

Mudbug Madness

Well, it's that time of year when the crawfish cravings are in full swing.   Thanks to recent rains, the crop is looking up and the prices are starting to stabilize.  As most Louisianians know, the normal curve for pricing tends to swing upward as we approach Easter weekend, then fall back down after.  Right now, it seems that somewhere in the neighborhood of $3/lb boiled is typical pricing in the BR area.

Last Sunday my cravings came to a head and I had to get a fix.  Despite the fact that Tommy's Fish House is located right near my house, I had to venture into the city because they were closed.  When open however, you can find boiled for $3/lb and on some nights get all you can eat for $20.  My first thought on where else to go seemed obvious.  Logic told me that a place I would be sure to find what I needed would be The Crawfish Place, however they too were closed on a Sunday.

So, I found myself heading over to Sammy's on Highland Rd.  The pricing was much like the crowd there, a little on the upscale/trendy side.  There were a mix of local celebrity types and college students inside filling the place with a lively atmosphere.  The crawfish were good, seasoned nicely, but not cheap.  A tray containing 3lbs cost me $13.95, not including corn and potatoes which were $3 extra.  For an additional 2lbs, it was another $3.95 plus another $3 for more potatoes.  Of course you can't have hot boiled crawfish without beer, so my total damage came to about $40.

All in all, not a bad experience.  I could have saved money eating at home, but wanted to get out and go somewhere, so I guess that factors into the cost as well.  There are other choices of course, I know there are some seafood restaurants in town such as Drusilla that are doing all you can eat deals as well.

Of course, I could have just went with buying live and boiling at home.  I find it interesting just how many different procedures there are out there for accomplishing this task.  I have heard all sorts of methods, such as steaming them in an ice chest, covering them with ice, letting them soak for some time, and even throwing raw onions on top once they come out of the boil.  The other curious thing is what some people will integrate into a boil.  This really runs the food spectrum as covers a large amount of items.  Foods like eggs, sausage, mushrooms, broccoli, carrots, and even chicken breasts have found their way into the spicy brew by people I know.

So, let's hear your thoughts.  Where is the best place to find boiled bugs, and how do you do it?

No comments:

Post a Comment